I believe that the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world.
I believe all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of kinship, love and tolerance.
I don't believe in distinction of any kind, such as
- race, colour, ethnicity, nationality
- sex, gender identity
- sexual orientation
- language, culture
- religion, spirituality
- political opinion
- any opinion
- origin (social, national or any other kind)
- age
- weight, size
- looks, beauty or lack of it
- disability or illness, visible or invisible, of mind or body
- property, wealth
- birth
- other status or identity

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Antiquities

In a way I am for returning the spoils of war and colonial trophies to the land of their origin. I think Queen Margrethe I's golden dress should be in Denmark, I think Spain and Portugal should return the things they stole from South America, Parthenon marbles should be returned... but then we get to my stumbling stone... Egypt. I dislike mr. Zahi Hawass very much.

I don't think they have any right to ask back things when they (the Egyptians) plundered the tombs, sold the artifacts to highest bidder - some times to the first, best buyer, destroyed and spoiled hundreds of historically interesting pieces, flooded archaeological sites... It is believed that 3/4 of the Egypt's history is still hidden in sand and under the modern cities and buildings. I say to mr. Hawass, first, dig up at least half of that, THEN you can start asking for things "back".

"However, the negative side is that the environmental and display conditions leave a great deal to be desired. Labels on some exhibits date from early in the century and many items have no labels at all."
- about Egyptian Museum in Cairo
You might also need to actually DO SOMETHING about "the environmental and display conditions", before you start grabbing the artifacts. Also, where would you put them?

As it is now, people can go to Berlin and see Nefertiti, or to London and see the Rosetta stone - they don't need to come to Egypt and miss seeing these, because it's too crowded, both with artifacts and people... besides... it would cost me 1.500 kronas to get to London, 1000 kronas to get to Berlin and 3.500 kronas to get to Cairo... I'm sorry, Zahi, but I'd rather take BOTH the Egyptian Museum at Alte Museum AND British Museum AND have 1000 cronas left to buy souvenirs with... If I'd be American the prize difference is even bigger. They'd get 2000 kronas in pocket money. Besides, the admission to the BM is free... I think I should have the right to see true Egyptian artifacts even though I am poor.

You could also try to replace the things you want back with something. For example, it's not necessary that the obelisk at Place de la Concorde is just the old, original one from Luxor, make them a replica and ask if they'd be kind enough to accept another Egyptian obelisk instead of the one that should be in Luxor. In my mind it doesn't matter one bit whether it is in Luxor or Paris. Luxor wouldn't be any more amazing than it is now if there were two obelisks instead of one.

Also, Rosetta stone as the "icon of Egyptian identity". Bull. If the Egyptians cared about their "Egyptian identity", they'd kept their Egyptian language and writing alive, like the Jews managed to do with their unique language and writing through the centuries.

No comments: